Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Henry the 8th

2009 Album - The Last Will And Testament
Original 1910 British music hall song

I`m Henry the 8th, I am
Henry the 8th, I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She`s been maried seven times before
And eveyone was an Henry
She wouldn`t top a Willie nor a Sam
I`m her eight old man, I`m Henry
Henry the 8th I am I am
Henry the 8th I am.

second verse, same as the first


About the original 1910 British music hall song

"I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am" (also "I'm Henery the VIII, I Am" or "I'm Henry VIII, I Am"; spelled "Henry" in references to the Herman's Hermits version) is a 1910 British music hall song by Fred Murray and R. P. Weston.
It was a signature song of music hall star Harry Champion and became the fastest-selling song in history to that point when revived in 1965 by Herman's Hermits, becoming the group's second number-one on the Hot 100 chart.
The lead solo on the Hermits' version was played by the group's lead guitarist Derek "Lek" Leckenby.

In the well-known chorus, Henery explains that his wife had been married seven times before.

According to one source, Champion "used to fire off [the chorus] at tremendous speed with almost desperate gusto, his face bathed in sweat and his arms and legs flying in all directions."In later versions recorded by Champion, "Willie" is changed to "William" because the former is a slang term for the penis in Britain.
The song is often sung in a Cockney accent.

The Herman's Hermits version consists of the chorus sung three times. Between the first two choruses, Peter Noone calls out, "Second verse, same as the first!"
Earlier sources usually spell the name "Henery" (as do some old sources when referring to the historical King of England, and the music requires the name "Henery" to be pronounced as three syllables.

The sheet music for the 1965 Herman's Hermits revival, however, presented the name as "Henry", as do sources referring to this version.

No comments: